Saturday, August 25, 2007

Wo zai Nanjing

I arrived last night in Nanjing, more than 24 hours after leaving my house. It was a very smooth trip with no delays on flights and my luggage got through just fine. Jet lag is surprisingly not bad. I went to sleep at midnight, woke up at 8, and feel fine.

My dorm in the Zeng Xianzi building is like a hotel. I think it's far too nice, but I guess I can't complain. I'm on the eleventh floor so there is a pretty good view.

Some oddities:
  • We get like a million TV channels. I saw everything from cowboy cartoons to half a dozen game shows.
  • You have to turn the hot water heater on 2 hours before you want to take a shower. It's a good thing it's so incredibly hot that I want to take cold showers anyway.
  • Really hard beds.

Not much exciting happening today, just cashing traveler's checks, buying a cell phone, and phone card. I'm sweating just sitting still, so it was god awful walking around in this heat.

Placement testing tomorrow morning, so I'm going to get dinner and then cram a little.

Also, I can't actually see this blog because I can't access the blogspot.com address right now, but I can get to blogger.com. I'll try to work that out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you arrived and good luck on your placement test!

Aunt Kay said...

Hi Jake,
Hope the weather cools down a bit for you. Glad you had a good trip. Bounce on the bed a little to break it in. Hope you will make some good friends right away.
Good luck with your studies.
Aunt Kay