Thursday, February 14, 2008

Back in NJ


\












Huge Buddha on Lantau Island, next door to Hong Kong Island, but in the same Special Administrative Region (SAR). Sits on a hill above a monastery. (Below) Hong Kong from Victoria peak at night. The peak is as tall as some of the skyscrapers next to it. In other words, it's pretty steep.

Got back in Nanjing yesterday. Took a soft sleeper train direct from Hong Kong to Shanghai, then got a fast train back to Nanjing. About 25 hours start to finish, which isn't bad when you sleep for 10 of them. Soft sleepers come with a TV screen at the foot of the bed with 2 channels. I watched two episodes of this Chinese show that was a rip off of Sex in the City almost exactly. Even one women with short hair died slightly red. Really funny though, and a sign my listening comprehension is improving.

My lunch meeting on Tuesday went well. Might freelance and get paid for it. Exciting, but I've never written for a magazine before. I could live wherever I wanted and travel, potentially, if I need to to write a story. Could possibly do it in conjunction with another part time internship/job.

Other than that, saw the Buddha on Monday, and went to Hong Kong library at night to look at a book for my potential honors thesis. Also so The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, which I would recommend. Movie selection is much better in Hong Kong.

It's really good to be back in Nanjing, feels like home. It's really great to see some of my Chinese and a couple people back from last semester. New kids on the way, a few are here already, but most will arrive tomorrow. I found out today also that I wouldn't have to take the placement test again, I'll just be placed in the A level class (there's A (good), B (intermediate), C (everybody lower), and people taking real university classes (ridiculously good)).

If anything interesting happens, I will update.

No comments: