Friday, February 8, 2008

In Hong Kong

Arrived in Hong Kong yesterday. I keep coming up with different ways to think of the city in my head. In some ways, it is the closest thing to Blade Runner or StarWars (the new ones) I've seen. Surely ever high-technology-future scifi writer has to have seen this city. People walk up to me, Africans, Indians, Chinese accosting me about buying a suit, hasheesh, a watch etc. I'm staying in a room that's closet size, my bed + two feet. Signs are everywhere in English, Chinese, you name it. The rich live super-baller lifestyles while the poor are almost comically poor. It's easily the most cosmopolitan city I've been to (sorry New York).

Hong Kong also seems kind of like the Bay Area, but a better version. First, all unwanted elements are pushed out of the city proper (in this case to where I'm staying in Kowloon across the harbor), and there are special places for rich people to live (the closer to the top of Victoria Peak, the richer). Second the weather is mild, although it does get hotter here in the summer. Third, as mentioned above. Fourth, everybody's a huge yuppie. I could keep listing.

I keep going back and forth as to whether I love or hate HK. You have to have money to get the most out of the city by shelling out for that good dinner or show or to get even moderately good digs. The racial economic gap is still large--all the lower class is Chinese. That brings me to the fact that this city is dripping in British-ness. If the Chinese guy is upper class, he has a British accent. I love the historical feeling, as this still feels like a colony, a feeling I've never gotten anywhere before. The feeling definitely makes the material from my Chinese history courses come alive. But still, their British, it's just so unappealing.

I wish I could post pictures since I have many interesting ones. I didn't bring my computer, so I'm at an internet cafe.

Anyway, going to Macao tomorrow morning for a day or two. Vegas of the East and all that. Back on Sunday to vote in person with Democrats Abroad (woohoo 11 expat delegates). Good thing I'm in Hong Kong and this happens to be the only place in China with a branch otherwise I would be too late to vote. That said, vote Obama on February 19th.

No comments: