Saturday, September 8, 2007

Birthday Party

The Party
Last night I went to a friend of a friend's Grandfather's 70th birthday party (another one of Dongxu from Madison's friends). It was in Tai Zhou City which is a 2 hour drive to the northwest, about half way to Lianyungang.

The guys extended family is originally from Tai Zhou and his father had moved to Nanjing. There were about 22 people who went to some fancy restaurant for a big dinner. His grampa, grandma, aunts, uncles (by far the most were uncles which constituted both his dad's cousins and brothers), and some others who I had no idea how they were related.

The meal was huge and started with this delicious cake which I proceeded to eat with chopsticks. Then on to the other dishes with new ones coming out pretty much continuously. I ate fish stomach in tomato sauce which was surprisingly good. Cow stomach was OK I only had a strand. A lot of fish and other seafood. The meal ended with the traditional birthday noodles that you eat for longevity or something like that.

Throughout the meal people kept moving around the room making toasts and having me raise my glass and cheers with them. The impressive thing is how much baijiu they were drinking. Baijiu is a "white wine" distilled from sorghum, rice, or pretty much anything you feel like. It's over 100 proof I know and tastes pretty awful. I did one toast with it and was like I'm done. But some people drank entire wineglasses full of this stuff. I was impressed.


Baijiu. Note how much the bottle looks like it could contain motor oil.

Photo Credit: Mark Bussinger (Wikipedia says I can use it if I credit it)













It lasted probably two and a half hours in all. I really didn't know much of what was going on because people had accents and would periodically speak in some local dialect. It was very interesting and I'm glad I went. I shared the guy's hotel room and got back the next morning just before noon.

Unfortunately, I had left my camera in the car so I didn't get any pictures. The guy, William might send me some that I can post.

Posting comments is now alright
So apparently tuition at Northwestern pays for something because NU IT has a section on there website about making a computer portal to get around blocked stuff. The other guy from NU showed it to me and I can now view this blog along with Wikipedia. So feel free to respond to these posts however you feel like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o lucro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

Cheap and trendy deisgner clothing from ronkaclothing.com where we sell: Diane von Furstenberg, Ark & Co., BG Haute, Rag & Bone, Denimocracy, Basta Surf, Baby Doll, Jennifer Meyer Jewelry, JS Collection, Sherri Hill, Christopher Kane, Nell Couture, http://www.eicop.org/c-210-fashion-sneakers.aspx, Betsey Johnson, Cut 25, Short Prom Dresses, Blue Pacific Fashion, Denim, Vera Wang Lavender Label, TheL.A.Look, Vitamin A Silver/Razmatazz, Jennifer Meyer Jewelry, Whips and Paddles, Terani Couture, Vivienne Westwood, Messenger, T. Cyia, Maidenform, Shoulder Bags, Steven, Books and Games, Bop Basics, Frye, Rozae R.N., flower girl, Under £50, Morrell Maxie, Bec & Bridge, Chantelle, Sauce, Antik Batik, Left on Houston, Motif 56, Kova & T, Jonano, Miguel Ases, Chris Benz, Top, Cheap Monday, Alice + Olivia, Tara Jarmon, Blouses, Tori Praver Swimwear, Tila March, M20, Georgie, Ponchos, Skirt, Adrienne Landau - all available from our online designer clothing store at 50% off sale! Check out http://arts.harvard.edu - harvard university arts and fashion.
We admire work of Harvard University Arts and Fashion - best school of arts where great designers learn
how to create great looking designer clothing!