Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Turtles!

Meant to post this a while ago:

Mr. and Mrs. Turtle chilling in their tub under the sink in my bathroom. Don't let their supposed adorableness get to you, they smell awful.

The exclamation point indicates surprise, not excitement
On Sunday or Monday, I came back to my room to find two turtles on my bathroom floor in a mesh bag. For some reason it didn't seem that odd, the turtles weren't moving, so maybe Jerry was going to eat them or something.

Jerry informed me that he and LuBen down the hall had each purchased a turtle and planned to keep them as a pet. He also said something about keeping a turtle giving you long life. Or maybe that's people who eat turtles.

I wasn't too concerned because he said that LuBen had bought a tub to keep them in, and they'd be kept in his room.

About a day later, after the turtles had been moved to their tub, one crawled over the edge and neither LuBen or his roommate saw it. It was at large for about 3 hours before it was discovered hiding in the corner of their room. Either way, LuBen's roommate told him the turtle must go, so for now it is in my bathroom.

The biggest problem is the food they're giving the turtles. Their pretty much feeding them raw chuar. I don't actually know how that's spelled, but it's the meet on a stick sold by street vendors. They just put it in the tub, and it reeks until the turtles eat it all. Since they're slow turtles, this can take days.

They should be gone to people in my roommate's old dorm by the end of my weeklong independent trip, which ends October 7.

No comments: