Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Wierd Food

Sea Cucumber
I forgot to mention the meal I had immediately after arriving in Lianyungang. It consisted of all the local sea food "delicacies," plus a few other weird things. The main attraction definitely had to be the sea cucumber, also known as the sea slug.






I ate part of one of these. Yeah, I know, I'm BA. I'm probably also violating some sort of copyright law by posting this picture from a random web site.





Sea cucumbers come with the optional spikes and are pretty much gross looking floppy logs that somehow eat and breath. What I ate was a slice of a sea slug that had been prepared somehow, although it was served cold. It was really slimy and didn't taste very good, so I really don't know why people eat it.

Other than that I ate a couple kinds of squid, fish that came with heads and an awfully dangerous number of bones, dried shrimp (crispy/salty), and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I also tried duck stomach, which I actually really enjoyed. I've had it once since then, but the second time wasn't as good.

1 comment:

Woodsy said...

I'm a swimming teacher and tonight I was giving the kids random creatures in pairs as they did their widths. One width was sea-horses and sea-cucumbers. I asked if they'd be looking up their creatures on Google later. I hope they don't see this picture! Quite vile..........

Good luck with the studies.

Cheers,
Mark (Nottingham, UK).